While some ducks are doing a fine job of welcoming spring to WOM’s school yard, we’re looking for a little more help! WOM’s play structures will need to be replaced in the coming years, and planning will be ramping up in September. The first meeting was held February 22, 2017, with a presentation by Dan Fournier, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board’s Architectural and Engineering Project Leader.
Some points from the presentation:
– current structures will be removed 5-8 years out
– new play structures need to be accessible
– sand no longer used, as not wheelchair accessible
– rubber or wood chips for accessibility now used
– 50% of costs is for ground prep for structure
– estimated cost $90,000-$120,000 to replace both structures, kindergarten and main structure
– gardens must be accessible as well
– consider partnering with community to help maintain gardens during summer
Please email principal Heather Graham if you’re interested in joining the Yard Committee. Thank-you!